The village of Kilbarron is situated in Newchapel (on the L1097 off the R493) on the boundary of the townland of Firgrove and Ballyquinlevan. It was named after the building of the present RC Church, Church of St Barron in 1814. It is a beautiful country village with beautiful views of Keeper Hill in the distance.
Terryglass Village is situated on the R493. The ruins of the walls of the old Garrison stronghold can be seen and surround the old graveyard where over 240 headstones have been recorded. It has won the All Ireland title in the Tidy Towns Competition in 1983 and 1997. The village of Terryglass is a major tourist attraction throughout the whole year.
The Parish of Terryglass-Kilbarron-Finnoe is situated in the northern tip of Co Tipperary and flanks the eastern shore of Lough Derg on the river Shannon for 25 kms, it consists of the separate villages of Kilbarron, Coolbawn, Ballinderry, Terryglass and Carrigahorig. It also incorporates the ancient parish of Finnoe. Two rivers flow through the parish, the Ballyfinboy river which flows into Lough Derg near Drominagh and the Ballycolliton which forms the border with Monsea & Killodiernan parish and flows into Lough Derg at Luska Bay.
Most famous landmarks consist of one castle built by the Normans around the twelfth century and a series of tower houses dotted throughout the parish built by the descendants of the Gaelic chieftains O’Brien and O Kennedy. These were designed as an early warning system in case of raiding and were built around the fifteenth century. All were built on raised areas with each individual one having a view of the others